Picture this: You and your closest friends, decked out in your finest dirndls and lederhosen (or T-shirts and jeans), celebrating Oktoberfest as authentically as you can get, without crossing the Atlantic.
This September 16th and 17th live LAGER than LIFE at Brauerei Fahr’s annual Oktoberfest. Enjoy 3 days of Bavarian hospitality complete with music, mouth-watering food and of course, BEER. From pork to polka to pilsner, guests are guaranteed good times and all while drinking award-winning beers. All for less than the price of your average food delivery order.
Nestled between the Foothills and the Rocky Mountains in Turner Valley, Fahr is picturesquely located less than an hour’s drive from Calgary, at 123 Kennedy Dr SE.
Turner Valley’s history is tied to Alberta’s oil and gas industry, while thanks to Fahr its future involves Alberta’s craft beer industry.
With Brewmaster Jochen Fahr at the helm, who grew up around his father’s brewing career at Fürstenberg Brewery, Fahr has produced 5 award-winning beers in the 5 years they have been in operation.
- Fahr’s Hefe was officially the Best Hefeweizen in the World in 2020, having won Gold at the World Beer Awards. A classic Bavarian style Hefeweizen, this hazy, spicy, wheat beer is the breweries’ flagship. The beer also took gold in 2019 as Canada’s Best Hefeweizen as well as World Silver in 2021 and 2022
- Their Pilsner took the World Beer Awards Canada Gold for Best Classic Pilsner Style Lager Beer in 2020. Not to mention, the Silver for Pilsners in Canada from the 2019 World Beer Awards. Clean, clear, and crisp, the Black Forest style Pilsner is unique in North America. If you have a friend or family member who is skeptical about trying craft beer, this Pilsner will win them over.
- The personal favourite brew of Brewmaster Jochen, the Copper is Fahr’s take on a traditional Vienna Lager. The same colour as its name, beer drinkers will notice flavours of toffee and caramel. As well as the beer’s ability to pair with anything being pulled off the grill. Not to be outdone by its siblings, the Copper took the 2020 World Beer Awards Canada Gold for Best Vienna Style Lager and Silver in the Canadian Brewing Awards. In 2021 the Vienna Lager took Bronze at the World Beer awards, followed by a Silver in 2022.
- Pouring dark but drinking light, the Munich lager is traditionally only brewed May to October. Benefitting from a roasted malt, beer drinkers will note chocolate, coffee, and dark fruit on their pallets. All of which helped the Munich win a Gold at the 2020 Canadian Brewing Awards.
- Finally, there’s the Alkoholfrei for those looking for a non-alcoholic beer that tastes like actual beer. The secret combination of mashing techniques and yeast netted this near beer a Silver at the 2020 World Beer Awards in the low/alcohol free category.
If 5 award-winning beers isn’t enough for you to rush to get a ticket, the event also boasts authentic German cuisine, Schuhplattler dancers performing traditional folk dances, and a live music line-up.
You can have your own Oktoberfest experience for $25 per person but wait there’s more! For $60, you can catch a shuttle bus from the Anderson LRT Station, at 11015 Anderson Station Way SW, and have your transportation taken care of, from departure to return. Shuttle bus tickets are in limited supply, so buy yours today!
Experience Alberta’s most authentic Oktoberfest at Brauerei Fahr’s taproom this September. Tickets for this pretzel and pint extravaganza are available at showpass.com, for both regular attendance and shuttle bus. Just be sure to buy your passes soon, because missing out would be the WURST.